We use this "blog" to stay in touch with our friends and supporters while we serve the Lord and wait on Him here at The Kilns, the home of C. S. Lewis.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

The news from Lake C. S. Lewis

A little snow on the path; a little ice on the water: Shelley lake on the Lewis' former property.
Well, we are finally getting a little bit of winter weather; a light snow today.  Some more snow is predicted for first of next week.  But temps will continue in the 30's and 40's for the most part.

My Garrison Keillor parody in the title of this post is based on the fact that there is a lake just a few yards from the house.  It was formed by men digging clay to use for brick and tile making.  The poet Shelley is supposed to have sailed model boats on it.  The folks here at the Kilns used to swim and punt around in it.  Or, they just relaxed on a brick bench built on the northwest corner of it and enjoyed the stillness and the various water fowl that either nest or frequent here.

We have a new scholar-in-residence coming in a few weeks.  She is a medical researcher from Italy.  She will be doing work at John Radcliffe hospital - the local (national) univ. hospital.  She's going to want to improve her Eng. but I'm going to want to learn a little Italian!  

We also have a gentleman coming in for a few weeks who is my age, but sadly lost his wife a little over a year ago to cancer.  We'll be looking to share with him the grace the Lord gives his children.

Plans are being made for one of my bishops (I won't say who right now) to come and stay for a week this spring.  I really hope that works out, for him and us as well.  It would be restful for him and good fellowship for us all.

I'm also glad to say that we've found someone among the Wycliffe Hall students who can help out here at the Kilns with tours and - if need be - watching over the house after we leave.  She is such a godly, talented young lady; I'm really "chuffed" about our working with her.  (btw, chuffed is an English word, introduced to me by my fellow-Anglophile friend, Art, which means very happy or pleased - :-))

With winter come our little viral friends.  I'm coming out of a sinus infection set on by a virus.  It kept me out of class at Wycliffe Hall last week.  Looks like Sheila's fighting the virus now.  Lord, have mercy.

Just read a really good article on church planting by Dan Alger, concerning how the sacraments should model our church planting methods.  You can find it here:  http://anglicanpastor.com/sacramental-church-planting/  He states things so very well; I'm raving about this article.  My only caveat is that, as important as the sacraments are, the primary means of building the Church is the preaching and on-going teaching of the Word (Col. 1:23, 2 Tim. 1:13; 3:16-17; Acts 2:42, I Peter 2:2).  Now, the sacraments are the Word made visible - we cannot do without them.  Again, I'm promoting Dan's article - I love it.  But, Scripture teaches that the importance of the sacraments is to be kept in tension or balance with the importance of the Word preached.  It's a "both-and" thing.  But when it comes to a sacramental view of God's truth (which I hold with Dan), what Dan says about the light they shine on church planting methods is very good indeed.

Fr. Brice and I plan to talk on Monday about ideas for college ministry at UTC.  Sheila and I are still waiting on the Lord for our next step.  This may or may not be it; we just need the Lord's mind on it and oneness of vision with all who are concerned.

Well, we now settle into what will hopefully be a quiet weekend as we try to get well.  We'll be praying for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment